How to Make Turkey Wings with Mushroom Gravy :
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Start by seasoning the turkey wings with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, poultry seasoning, and dried basil. Ensure that the wings are evenly coated with the flavorful spices.
- Coat a baking pan with a small amount of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO). Spread the mushrooms, chopped onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic evenly on the bottom of the pan.
- Place the seasoned turkey wings on top of the vegetables, skin side down. Wrap the pan tightly with foil to seal in the moisture and flavors.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour.
- After an hour, remove the pan from the oven and carefully add 1/2 cup of chicken stock. Replace the foil and continue baking for another 45 minutes.
- Once the turkey wings are tender and cooked through, remove the pan from the oven. Transfer most of the liquid, including the vegetables, into a saucepan.
- Flip the turkey wings over, skin side up, and return them to the oven, this time uncovered, on broil for 20 minutes. This will give the skin a delicious golden brown and slightly crispy texture.
- In the saucepan with the drippings, add the cream of mushroom soup and cream of chicken soup. Season with additional spices to taste. Simmer the mixture for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Pour the mushroom gravy over the turkey wings, ensuring they are generously coated. Cover the pan with foil and return it to the oven for another 20 minutes, or until the turkey wings are tender and infused with the flavors of the gravy.
- Once cooked to perfection, remove the pan from the oven and get ready to enjoy a plateful of succulent turkey wings with luscious mushroom gravy.
Substitutions and Variations:
- Instead of turkey wings, you can use chicken wings or drumsticks for a different flavor.
- If you prefer a vegetarian version, you can substitute the turkey wings with seitan or tofu.
- Feel free to add different types of mushrooms, such as cremini or shiitake, for a more robust flavor.
- Experiment with herbs and spices according to your preference. You can try thyme, rosemary, or sage for a different taste.
- If you’re looking for a gluten-free option, use a gluten-free cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup.
- Customize the vegetable mix by adding carrots, potatoes, or other vegetables you enjoy.
- For a richer gravy, you can add a splash of heavy cream or sour cream at the end.
- Use skinless turkey wings or remove the skin before cooking to reduce the fat content.
- Substitute the cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soups with low-fat or homemade versions.
- Increase the vegetable-to-meat ratio by adding more mushrooms, bell peppers, and celery.
Master this recipe like a Pro/Expert with these helpful Tips: 🎓💡
For an extra layer of flavor, marinate the turkey wings in the seasoning overnight.
If you prefer a thicker gravy, you can add a slurry of cornstarch and water to the saucepan and simmer until desired consistency is reached.
Serve the turkey wings with a side of creamy mashed potatoes or buttery biscuits to complete the meal.
Nutrition Information (approximate values per serving):
- Calories: 420 calories
- Protein: 30 g
- Fat: 25 g
- Carbohydrates: 20 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 800 mg
You wanna Make a healthier version :
Replace the cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup with a homemade low-carb alternative using cauliflower or a combination of almond milk and coconut flour.
Use low-carb thickening agents like xanthan gum or psyllium husk powder instead of flour in the gravy.
Serve the dish with cauliflower rice or steamed vegetables instead of traditional mashed potatoes.
Ensure that the chicken stock and canned soups used are gluten-free or make your own gluten-free versions.
Use gluten-free alternatives for thickening the gravy, such as cornstarch or arrowroot powder.
Instead of serving with traditional wheat-based sides, opt for gluten-free options like quinoa, brown rice, or gluten-free bread.
Choose skinless turkey wings or remove the skin before cooking to reduce the fat content.
Replace the butter or oil used for cooking with a healthier option like cooking spray or a small amount of olive oil.
Use low-fat or fat-free versions of the canned soups in the recipe.
Limit the amount of added fats, such as using a smaller quantity of oil for coating the baking pan and vegetables.
Weight Watchers (WW) Friendly:
Opt for skinless turkey wings and remove any visible fat to reduce the SmartPoints value.
Use cooking spray instead of oil for coating the baking pan and vegetables.
Choose low-sodium or reduced-sodium chicken stock to reduce the sodium content.
Keep track of the ingredients and portion sizes to fit within your allocated SmartPoints for the day.
And there you have it! A mouthwatering recipe for Turkey Wings with Mushroom Gravy that will delight your taste buds and warm your soul. Don’t forget to share your cooking experience with us and explore more delectable recipes on our KMT! Recipes platform.
Are you curious about anything else❓🤔 Take a look at the most frequently questions Below we get about this recipe:
How long does it take to cook turkey wings with mushroom gravy?
The total cooking time for turkey wings with mushroom gravy is approximately 2 hours and 25 minutes. This includes baking the wings with vegetables, simmering the gravy, and the final baking to tenderize the wings.
What are some variations or substitutions for the cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soups?
If you prefer homemade alternatives or have dietary restrictions, you can make your own cream of mushroom soup using fresh mushrooms, cream, and seasonings. For a dairy-free option, you can substitute coconut milk or almond milk for the cream. Similarly, you can make a homemade cream of chicken soup using chicken broth, flour, and spices.
Can I make this recipe gluten-free by using alternative ingredients?
Yes, you can make this recipe gluten-free by using gluten-free alternatives for the seasonings, chicken stock, and cream soups. Ensure that the poultry seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, and dried basil are gluten-free certified. You can also use gluten-free flour or cornstarch as a thickener for the gravy.
Are there any specific seasoning blends or herbs that pair well with turkey wings?
For turkey wings with mushroom gravy, the suggested seasoning blends and herbs include garlic powder, onion powder, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, and dried basil. These seasonings enhance the flavor profile and complement the richness of the gravy.
Can I prepare this dish in advance and reheat it later?
Yes, you can prepare this dish in advance and reheat it later. After baking the turkey wings and making the mushroom gravy, you can store them separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, reheat the turkey wings in the oven until heated through and warm the mushroom gravy on the stovetop.
What side dishes would complement turkey wings with mushroom gravy?
There are various side dishes that pair well with turkey wings and mushroom gravy. Some delicious options include mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables, green beans, cornbread, or a fresh garden salad. These sides provide a balance of flavors and textures to accompany the savory turkey wings.