Huevos Rancheros means “ranchers eggs”. This is a popular breakfast dish served with fried eggs on a corn tortilla topped with a tomato chili sauce and refried beans and cheese. It is great served with avocado or guacamole. The basic recipe came from Emeril Lagasse, I have made a few changes for our family. Scott and Anthony like it with flour tortillas.
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1/2 pound sausage ( I use Jimmy Dean)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped jalapeno, opt
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 4 large corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup warm refried beans, I like to add a little salsa, cheese and garlic salt to canned refried beans.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 eggs ( I only like one egg per tortilla) your choice
- 1 1/2 cup, cheese grated ( pepper jack, cheddar, etc.)
- To make Sauce, in a medium pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the,sausage, onions and bell peppers, and cook, stirring, for 3 to 5 minutes. Add the cumin, salt, cayenne, jalapeno, and garlic, and cook, stirring for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and their juices and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the stock and simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the cilantro. Adjust the seasoning, to taste, and cover to keep warm.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/2 teaspoon of oil over medium-high heat. Add 1 tortilla and cook until warmed through and just starting to brown about 30 seconds. Turn and cook on the second side. Remove, cover to keep warm, and repeat with the remaining oil and tortillas.
- In second skillet,or on a griddle heat butter and cook eggs, over easy.
- Place 1 warm tortilla on each of four plates, and spread with 2 tablespoons of warm refried beans. Place 1 or 2 eggs on top of each tortilla and top with warm Sauce, sprinkle with cheese. Serve immediately