------------- Advertisement - Continue Reading Below -------------
Twice-Baked Potato Casserole
- 10 large russet baking potatoes (about 7 pounds)
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 3/4 pound bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled
- 1/2 pound sharp white cheddar cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3/4 pound mild Cheddar cheese, grated (3 cups)
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 400
- Scrub the potatoes well and rinse under cool running water. Pat dry with a paper towel and prick the potatoes in several places with a fork.
- Place the potatoes in the oven and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until tender. Remove, from oven and set aside on a wire rack until cool enough to handle
- When the potatoes have cooled, cut each potato in half and, using a spoon or a melon baller, scoop the flesh out of the skin, leaving as little flesh as possible.
- Place the potato flesh in a large bowl and add 1 stick butter, the sour cream, heavy cream, salt and pepper and mash until chunky- smooth. Add the bacon, cubed white cheese, half of the grated cheddar, the green onions, and eggs and mix thoroughly.
- Butter a 9X13 inch casserole dish with the remaining tablespoon of butter and reduce the oven temperature to 375.
- Place the seasoned potato mixture in the prepared casserole dish and top with the remaining grated Cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until bubbly around the edges and heated through and the cheese is melted and lightly golden. Serve hot.