This recipe is actually from Teri. A sister in our ward made this for young women’s. Eric brought some home. With a hit of molasses, these cookies do stay soft, they are rolled in sugar and crack on top while they bake. You might want to double the batch, they are yummy.3/4
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter or shortening or do half of each ( or butter flavored Crisco)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Mix butter or shortening and sugar together.
- Add egg and molasses and blend well.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and salt. Use a whisk to combine.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture a little at a time until incorporated. Blend well and then chill for 1 hour in refrigerator.
- Remove from refrigerator and form into 1 inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake 8-10 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Let cool a couple of minutes on cookie sheet, remove and let completely cool.
I have only used unsalted butter.