I got this recipe from Marge Tsosie. I worked with Marge at the City of Farmington. Marge doesn’t cook much so this is really from her husband Al. She would always bring Al’s beans to potlucks. These are the best pinto beans ever. Al would cook them on top of the stove, I always cook them in the crock pot.
- Pinto Beans ( cleaned and washed )
- canned diced tomatoes ( 15 oz. )
- Bacon, diced
- green onion, or yellow onion
- salt and pepper
- season salt
- hamburger, cooked and seasoned with salt and pepper
- The problem with this recipe is there are no real measurements or directions.
- I wash and clean the beans about 3 cups and then place them in the bottom of a large crockpot.
- I add the remaining ingredients to the beans and then cover with water, just enough to cover the beans.
- I cook them all night on low, if you wake up you might check the water. If you need to add more always add hot water. Cold water cools the beans down and will take longer to cook.
- If the beans are old they may take longer to cook.