This sauce is extremely easy and very tasty. I use it on everything. You can use it on pasta, meatballs, pizza, anything. If you don’t like such big chunks of tomatoes, you can use diced tomatoes or use an immersion blender to get a smooth sauce.
Emeril’s Basic Tomato Sauce
I use diced tomatoes, it just seems like an extra step to squeeze the whole tomatoes, and dirty an extra bowl. Just saying!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow onions ( 1 medium yellow onion)
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic ( 2 cloves garlic )
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ( 28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 ( 1-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 1/2 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- In a medium, heavy pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, salt, basil, oregano and black pepper, and cook, stirring, until onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Place the tomatoes in a large bowl and squeeze to break into small pieces. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, water and sugar to the pot and stir well. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Lower the heat to medium-low, and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally with a heavy wooden spoon.