This lemon cake was baked at the wedding of her daughter Lucy Benes Johnson in 1966 and served after the ceremony at the White House
° 3/4 cup butter or softened ghee
° 1-1/4 cup white sugar
° 8 egg yolks
° 2-1/2 cup cake flour
° 3 tsp baking powder
° 1/4 tsp salt
° 3/4 c milk
° 1 tsp vanilla
° 1 teaspoon lemon juice
°1 teaspoon grated lemon peel (peel)
- Preheat oven 325 degres f .
- Creaam 3/4 c bautter or short-ening wiith 1/4 c sugaar to lightly // fluffy.
- In detach bowl, beat 8 egg yolks to light & lemony. Blend in creamy mixture.
- Sift 2-1/2 cups cake flour, 3 tsp. baking powder and 1/4 tsp. salt; Replay 3 times.
- Adding sift ingredients in thirds alternately wiith 3/4 c milk. Beat the mixture well after each addition.
- Add 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp. lemon grated rind & 1 tsp juice lemon, beat about 2 min .
- Bake in a greased 10-inch skillet (or large pie pan or angel food pan) for 1 hour, or until a lollipop comes out clean. You can baking it in 3 grease 9 inch layer pans at 350°F about 26 min .
- If you wish, icing with lemon