Hey there Kitchies! If you’re looking for a hearty and delicious meal that’s easy to make, look no further than this recipe for juicy hamburger steaks with brown gravy. Made with fresh ground beef and an easy homemade brown gravy, this recipe is sure to become a family favorite.
Imagine juicy, tender hamburger steaks served in a rich and flavorful brown gravy that’s made from scratch. The hamburger steaks are seasoned with just the right blend of spices to enhance the natural flavor of the beef, and the brown gravy is thick, luscious, and perfect for drizzling over the steaks. This recipe is easy to make and requires just a few basic ingredients, making it a go-to meal for busy weeknights.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
So, let’s get started KMT Show ! Here’s what you’ll need to make this recipe so special :
- 1 pound fresh ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup pan drippings
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 14-oz cans beef broth
- Salt & pepper to taste
It’s time to put on your KMT chef’s hat and start create your own version, Kitchies!! Simply follow these easy-peasy steps!
How to Make Hamburger Steaks with Delicious Brown Gravy:
To make the hamburger steaks:
- In a medium bowl, crumble the ground beef and add salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Mix by hand until seasoning is evenly distributed, taking care not to overwork the meat.
- Shape the ground beef into four thin hamburger steaks (about 1/2 inch thick).
- Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, cook the steaks on each side for 4-5 minutes or until nicely seared. Remove the steaks to a plate and set aside.
To make the brown gravy:
- Reduce the frying pan temperature to medium. Pour off the pan drippings into a cup or bowl, measure 1/4 cup of the drippings then add back to the pan (the hamburgers should yield 1/4 cup of pan drippings but if you’re short, add vegetable oil or butter).
- Add flour to the pan, then whisk to incorporate. Continue cooking and whisking for about 3-5 minutes or until the roux is medium brown.
- Add beef stock and continue whisking for 2-3 minutes or until the gravy starts to thicken a little (gravy will be thin). Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the hamburger steaks to the gravy, reduce heat to medium-low, then continue cooking, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until the meat juices run clear and the gravy has reduced and thickened.
Serve with white rice or mashed potatoes and enjoy the mouth-watering taste of these juicy hamburger steaks with delicious brown gravy.
Master this recipe like a Pro/Expert with these helpful Tips:
- To ensure the hamburger steaks are juicy, don’t overwork the meat when mixing in theseasonings.
- Use fresh ground beef for the best results.
- You can adjust the thickness of the gravy by adding more or less beef broth.
- For added flavor, you can sauté some onions and garlic before making the gravy and add them to the pan drippings.
Substitutions and Variations:
- You can use chicken or vegetable broth instead of beef broth to make the gravy.
- Add some Worcestershire sauce to the gravy for a tangy flavor.
- Top the hamburger steaks with caramelized onions for an extra burst of flavor.
Wanna make a healthier version?
- Use lean ground beef or turkey instead of regular ground beef to make the hamburger steaks.
- Serve with a side of steamed vegetables or a salad instead of rice or mashed potatoes.
Nutrition Information :
Please note that the following nutrition information is approximate and may vary depending on the specific ingredients, quantities used and serving sizes.
And there you have it, a delicious recipe for juicy hamburger steaks with brown gravy. It’s a simple yet satisfying meal that’s perfect for a weeknight dinner. Don’t forget to let us know how your dish turns out, and consider checking out some of our other KMT Recipes.
Categories: Dinner, Main Course, Beef
Are you curious about anything else? Take a look at the most frequently questions Below we get about this recipe:
Don’t forget Sharing is Caring! let us know how your version of the recipe turns out! We’d love to hear about your cooking adventures and see your creations.
Feel free to Share your photos, leave a review, or drop a comment below. Your feedback and experiences are valuable to us and our community.
Please remember to SHARE on Facebook and PIN IT!
FOLLOW ME US PINTEREST BY CLICKING HERE
- What are some common side dishes that pair well with hamburger steaks and brown gravy?
- Some common side dishes that pair well with hamburger steaks and brown gravy include mashed potatoes, white rice, roasted vegetables, green beans, and salad.
- Can I use a different type of meat for the hamburger steaks?
- Yes, you can use ground turkey or chicken instead of beef to make the hamburger steaks.
- Can I make the brown gravy in advance and reheat it later?
- Yes, you can make the brown gravy in advance and reheat it later. Just store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator and reheat it on the stove or in the microwave.
- How can I adjust the thickness of the gravy if I want it to be thicker or thinner?
- To adjust the thickness of the gravy, you can add more or less beef broth. If you want a thicker gravy, you can also use all-purpose flour or cornstarch as a thickener.
- What are some variations I can make to the recipe to add more flavor?
- Some variations you can make to the recipe to add more flavor include adding Worcestershire sauce to the gravy, sautéing onions and garlic before making the gravy, or topping the hamburger steaks with caramelized onions.
- How can I make this recipe healthier?
- To make this recipe healthier, you can use lean ground beef or turkey instead of regular ground beef to make the hamburger steaks. You can also serve it with a side of steamed vegetables or a salad instead of rice or mashed potatoes.
- What are some common mistakes to avoid when making hamburger steaks with brown gravy?
- Some common mistakes to avoid when making hamburger steaks with brown gravy include overworking the meat when mixing in the seasonings, using too much flour or cornstarch which can make the gravy too thick, or not cooking the hamburger steaks long enough which can result in tough and dry meat.
- How long does it take to make this recipe from start to finish?
- The total time to make this recipe from start to finish is about 40 minutes, with 10 minutes of prep time and 30 minutes of cooking time. However, this may vary depending on your cooking experience and the equipment you have on hand.