------------- Advertisement - Continue Reading Below -------------
The first time I made this was for a Fourth of July picnic. This has a creamy pineapple juice and egg dressing, that is cooked for this fruit and pasta salad. You need to do it a day ahead. The salad is delicious.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 3/4 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (16 ounce) package acini di pepe pasta
- 3 (11 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, drained well
- 2 (20 ounce) cans pineapple tidbits, drained well
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- In a sauce pan, combine sugar, flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pineapple juice and eggs. Stir and cook over medium heat until thickened, Remove from heat: add lemon juice ad cool to room temperature.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil, add oil, remaining salt and cook pasta until al dente. Rinse under cold water and drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the pasta, egg mixture, mandarin oranges, pineapple and whipped topping. Mix well and refrigerate overnight or until chilled. Before serving add marshmallows and coconut. Toss and serve.