One our favorite winter meals was a five hour Beef Stew recipe that I found in the Methodist Ladies Cookbook. It was so easy and yet yummy and satisfying for a hungry family. I would often fix it in the morning and carry it to the beach house on the weekends for an easy supper.
5 Hour Beef Stew
- 2 lbs stew beef
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 can tomato soup
- 1/3 can water
- Place stew meat in the bottom of a heavy Dutch oven.
- Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper and your favorite seasonings. Layer potatoes and carrots on the meat, Season again.
- Layer onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms on top. Add frozen peas. Pour can of tomato soup over all and top with 1/3 soup can filled with water.
- All vegetable ingredients are estimates.
- Use more of your favorite veggies and omit any that you don’t like. But, this blend is very colorful and tasty.
- Bake in a 275 degree oven for 5 hours. Serve with Pillsbury Crescent Rolls to dip in juice!