------------- Advertisement - Continue Reading Below -------------
- 2 pie crusts, unbaked
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated and divided
- 3 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
- 1 1/2 cups frozen broccoli florets
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9-inch pie dish with butter or nonstick spray. Line with one of the pie crusts. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook until starting to soften, 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Stir in the flour and let cook 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk, followed by the cream cheese. Cook, stirring frequently, until cream cheese melts and mixture thickens. Season with ground mustard, salt and pepper.
- Turn off heat and stir in 1 1/2 cups of the cheddar cheese until melted. Stir in broccoli and chicken.
- Pour mixture into pie shell and top with remaining cheese. Put second pie crust on top and fold and crimp edges of the crusts to seal. Cut 4 slits in the center of the pie.
- Whisk egg with 1 tablespoon of water and brush over top crust.
- Bake until golden brown, 40-45 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Melissa’s Southern Style Kitchen.