You better watch it or they will slip in the back door to sample these before it’s time to eat. Who wouldn’t like a pot full of doctored up baked beans with bacon, Coke and sorghum? Sure-nuff good!
- 2 (16 – 18 ounce) cans Bush’s baked beans
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup Sorghum (or Karo dark syrup)
- 2 tsp. yellow mustard
- 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 10 slices thick bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup Coca Cola
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- Greased casserole or iron baking dish
Cook bacon in skillet for about 5 minutes over medium/ low heat – don’t crisp bacon but make sure it’s done.
Remove bacon and set aside, add onions and pepper to skillet and cook in bacon drippings for 10-15 minutes over medium heat. In a bowl mix the remaining ingredients.
Drain bacon, onion and pepper and add to bean mixture. Mix well and pour into casserole or iron baking dish.
Bake at 325 degrees for 2-½ hours or until beans are bubbly and sauce is the consistency of thick syrup.
Let stand to thicken slightly and serve.