These cookies have a crisp edge, oatmeal and bits of apple and a hint of cinnamon. I found these cookies in the Taste of the South, October-November 2009 issue. They just said fall, so I gave them a try, Grandpa said they were pretty good.
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups quick cooking rolled oats ( I used regular)
- 1 cup chopped dried apples
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray baking sheet with baking spray with flour; set aside
- In a large bowl, beat shortening, brown sugar, and sugar at medium speed with with an electric mixer until creamy Add egg, apple juice, and vanilla, beating to combine
- In another bowl, combine flour, soda, salt, and cinnamon. Gradually add to egg mixture. Add oats and apples, stirring well.
- Scoop with a 2 inch cookie scoop; place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet
- Bake until edges begin to brown, approximately 10-12 minutes per batch. Remove to a wire rack to cool.