This is the only green chile chicken stew I make. I don’t know where I got this recipe. I’m sure I got it out of a magazine at some time. I just have a copy of the page out of the magazine. I have been known to find a recipe in a magazine at the doctors office and ask them if they could make me a copy. So this is probably where I got this.
Chili Verde Con Pollo (Green Chile Chicken Stew)
- 2-3 pounds chicken, or chicken parts
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons oil or butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups green chili, peeled and chopped ( have used canned )
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 cup peeled, chopped tomatoes, canned or fresh
- 2 large baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
- Cover chicken with water, add garlic and 1 teaspoon salt and simmer until chicken is tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove chicken from stock, debone and mince meat.
- De-fat stock by chilling and removing any accumulated fat from top of broth.
- In large pot, brown onion in oil,
- Add flour and stir until golden.
- Whisk in stock, and remaining ingredients and simmer until potatoes are tender, 45 minutes.
You can use leftover chicken and then use canned chicken broth