This recipe came out of a recipe book I have called America’s Best Recipes, published in 1983. This is from the kitchen of Marie Hathrup, Moro, Oregon. I have made these hundreds of times, they are always delicious. We especially when we are camping and make them in the Dutch oven, over the camp fire.
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter to the size of peas— do not overwork dough or cut in butter to fine
- Mix in milk
- Gather the dough into a ball and roll or pat to a 1/2 inch thickness. Do Not Knead.
- Cut with a 3-inch cutter. Place on a ungreased pan close together and bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes or until nicely brown.
This is a Blue Ribbon Winner, from the Oregon State Fair