I got this recipe from my Aunt Edith Holden. She was a great cook and a wonderful, talented person. I used this recipe when I was catering and is a great lemon cake type bread. I love lemon so this is one of my favorite and it reminds me of one of my favorite people.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts, walnuts or pecans
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
- In small bowl combine flour, salt and soda. Whisk to combine.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture, alternating with buttermilk. Beating after each addition.
- Stir in nuts and lemon rind.
- Pour into well greased and floured loaf pan.
- Bake at preheated oven at 350 for 30-45 minutes
- While baking, combine ingredients for glaze in small bowl. Mix until sugar dissolves
- When loaf is done, remove from pan and poke holes in top with a toothpick and then pour glaze over loaf.
- Let cool and slice.