------------- Advertisement - Continue Reading Below -------------
My children love this simple Mac and Cheese recipe from the old red Betty Crocker cook book. It is simple, delicious and easy. I always think of Macaroni and Cheese as a comfort food.
Macaroni & Cheese (Betty Crocker)
- 3 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- ¼ cup margarine or butter
- 1 sm. onion (optional – I don’t put onion in mine)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup all –purpose flour
- 1 ¾ cups milk
- 8 ounces Velveta Cheese – cut into ½ inch cubes
- Cook macaroni as per directions on package. Melt butter over medium heat, at salt and pepper. Blend in flour. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute; remove from heat. Stir in cheese until melted.
- Place macaroni in ungreased 1 ½ quart casserole dish. Stir cheese sauce into macaroni. Cook uncovered in 375 oven for 30 minutes. ( I don’t always bake mine – it is delicious straight off the oven)