I love lasagna, it always seems to take a lot of time. So I don’t make it often. This is a recipe I saw on Pioneer Woman, she was making freezer meals. I decided to try it . I changed up a few things and it was delicious. I made it in smaller pans and was able to freeze some for later.
- 20 whole Lasagna Noodles
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound mild Italian Sausage
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil ( I used dry about 1 teaspoon)
- 15 ounces Ricotta Cheese
- 15 ounces Cottage Cheese
- 2 whole eggs
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon basil, minced ( I used 1/2 teaspoon dry)
- 1 pound Mozzarella
- Boil lasagna noodles until al dente. Drain and lay flat on a sheet of foil. I didn’t lay them on top of each other.
- In a large pot, heat olive over medium high heat. Add onions and cook for a few minutes and then add garlic and cook for one minute. Add the ground beef and the sausage, breaking it up as it cooks, until browned. Drain off excess fat, then add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper, parsley and basil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Make the filling by combining ricotta, eggs, Parmesan, salt, pepper, parsley and basil. Stir to combine.
- To assemble, spoon a little sauce into the bottom of a 9×13 pan or smaller disposable foil loaf pans. Spread 2-3 tablespoons ricotta mixture on each noodle, then roll them up. Lay them sideways in the pans ( 4 will fit in the loaf pan or you can fill up a 9×13 pan. Top with the remaining sauce and plenty of grated mozzarella cheese, and grated Parmesan cheese.
- If baking immediately, bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- If baking from frozen state, bake at 350 for 45 minutes, then remove the foil, and continue baking for 15 minutes, or until lasagna is done