I found this in a Taste of Home magazine, I cut out the 3×5 card and have had it for years. This is the description on the card. ” A chilled fluffy dessert like this one is a satisfying way to finish off a big meal. I got the recipe from a woman I happened to meat in a department store one day. Leftovers taste just as good the next day and can also be frozen.” Eunice Stoen, Decorah, Iowa
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 3 small packages instant vanilla pudding mix
- 4 cups cold milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained well
- 2 cups heavy cream, whipped and sweetened
- 2 cups flaked coconut, toasted
- Mix cake batter according to package directions. Pour into two greased 13 x 9 baking pans. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until cake test done. Cool completely. In a large mixing bowl, combine pudding mixes, milk and coconut extract, beat for two minutes. Add cream cheese( I like to beat the cream cheese in a separate bowl and then add the pudding mixture. This way the cream cheese will stay smooth) beat well. Stir in the well drained pineapple. Spread over the cooled cakes. Top with whipped cream; sprinkle with toasted coconut. Chill for 2 hours.
Prepared dessert can be covered and frozen for up to 1 month.
I also have used Cool Whip instead of whipping cream.