Café Rio’s Chicken Tortilla Soup our version
- 1 lg. onion, diced ( I used only 1/4 )
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- a dash (or two) cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- juice of 1/2 lime
- pepper, to taste
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 Tablespoons paprika
- pico de gallo
- 2-3 avocados, diced
- 2 cups pepper jack cheese, grated ( or what ever cheese you have or like)
- tortilla strips
- cilantro, for garnish
- lime wedges, for garnish
- In a small skillet sauté onion in 1 tablespoon oil, until onions become slightly soft. Stir in cumin, cayenne, and chili powder and sauté an additional minute or two.
- Transfer seasoned onions to a medium-sized sauce pan. Add chicken broth, cilantro, lime juice, pepper and pinto beans to onions and simmer on low-heat for at least 2-3 hours. ( I’m not sure you need to simmer this long, I did this the first time, but I think 1 hour is enough)
- Combine taco seasoning and paprika. Brush chicken with oil and rub with taco seasoning/paprika mixture.
- Grill chicken over medium-heat until cooked through, turning only once. Remove from grill and shred. ( I pounded mine just until they were an even thickness and cooked them in oven on a foil lined baking pan. 375 degrees for 20 minutes
- In individual bowls layer chicken, about 1/3 c. pico de gallo, 1/3 cup diced avocado, and 1/3 cup pepper jack cheese. Ladle about 1 cup chicken broth directly over the layers. Top with tortilla strips and garnish with cilantro and lime wedges.
I sautéed my onions in the same pot I was going to simmer soup in, no sense in dirtying another pan. I also just crunched some tortilla chips on top of soup instead of making tortilla strips. My lazy side coming out.